The first set of minor league workout groups have been put up by the Phillies. Here are the first set of groups (first posted by Jim Peyton)
There is not a lot to read into future placement here, but there are some early thoughts here.
- The pitching groups seem far from solidified with levels. Elniery Garcia is into group two while Chris Oliver, Ricardo Pinto, and Franklyn Kilome are in Group 4. Garcia is certainly the most advanced, but he won’t be going to AA with some of the other arms in that group
- They did not bring a lot of international players stateside. Their top 4 signings in Jonathan Arauz, Arquimedes Gamboa, Daniel Brito, and Lenin Rodriguez are all stateside. It appears that BB:K king Ranger Suarez will also be stateside, but not sign of speedster Jesus Alastre.
- Larry Greene Jr is not listed anywhere, but there has been no mention of a release.
- Andrew Pullin is listed as an outfield and not an infielder, which is a huge blow to his stock.
- Herlis Rodriguez being with the top group is certainly interesting.
- Aaron Nola is with the AAA group and not the AA/Hi-A group, but that could change when Morgan, Biddle, and Rodriguez come down.
- Astudillo is listed as a catcher and that appears to be what the Phillies want him to do.
- Apparently Yoel Mecias look a little bigger, which is awesome