Today the Reading Fightins did Round 2 of their preparations for their playoff run. Roman Quinn is back to the team after his rehab assignment in the GCL. Joining Quinn in Reading are right handed reliever Jesen Therrien and third baseman Mitch Walding. Therrien helps add another arm to the Reading pen that lost some arms to Lehigh Valley. Meanwhile Quinn and Walding fortify two of Reading’s biggest weaknesses in center field and third base. Quinn should immediately take over as the lead off hitter for the Fightins and will provide power and speed at the top of the lineup. Walding is having a breakout year in Clearwater where he has kept his walk and strikeouts rates steady while increasing the quality of his contact dramatically leading to a large uptick in power. Even if his bat does not have the same success in AAA, Walding will provide solid defense at third base.
With Quinn and Walding on board the Reading lineup could look something like this (season stats included):
- Roman Quinn (CF) – .308/.375/.436 3 HR 30 SB
- Scott Kingery (2B) – .293/.357/.407 4 HR 27 SB
- Jorge Alfaro (C) – .288/.328/.464 12 HR 2 SB
- Dylan Cozens (RF) – .282/.365/.597 30 HR 18 SB
- Rhys Hoskins (1B) – .282/.358/.577 31 HR 4 SB
- Jake Fox (DH) – .257/.325/.494 20 HR
- Andrew Pullin (LF) – .325/.364/.510 9 HR
- Mitch Walding (3B) – .280/.372/.440 10 HR 2 SB
- Angelo Mora (SS) – .254/.312/.371 4 HR 3 SB or KC Serna (SS) – .303/.393/.418 4 HR 6 SB
No matter how Reading orders it, this should be the best lineup in the minors from a production sense. Meanwhile it is good to see Walding get rewarded for a good season, and even better to see Roman Quinn back on the field.
Some other moves in the Phillies system:
- Aaron Brown begins his rehab assignment in the GCL today, it is going to be tough to shoehorn him into the Reading lineup.
- Zach Coppola and Jeff Singer to Clearwater. Coppola has no power but has just kept hitting for Lakewood. Singer has come a bit out of nowhere to dominated with a mid 90s fastball from the left side. Herlis Rodriguez is demoted to make room.
- Mark Laird is finally promoted to Lakewood after tearing up Williamsport.
Photo by Baseball Betsy