Team prospect list time is starting to wind down, and now we move into global top prospect lists, and Baseball Prospectus kicks things off with their Top 101. The list itself is a collaborative effort by their entire prospect staff (as opposed the Phillies Top 10 which was Jeff Paternostro‘s list with input from others). The Phillies’ farm system won’t rank as high as it could due to some last minute graduations (Eickhoff and Altherr) and acquiring a major leaguers as the headliner in the Giles trade (Velasquez), but the system seems to at least be generating Top 10 buzz. This list does nothing to quell that as 6 Phillies’ prospects make an appearance on the list, with 4 coming from trades. Those players are:
4 – J.P. Crawford
25 – Nick Williams
34 – Jake Thompson
64 – Mark Appel
70 – Jorge Alfaro
95 – Franklyn Kilome
So just a few thoughts on all of this:
- I personally have Crawford #3 overall over Giolito, but it isn’t a big gap. Those two plus Seager and Buxton are all group for me, and then it is a jump down to Mazara/Moncada/Gallo/Urias/Arcia group for me (BP has Arcia lower than I do).
- Appel is actually right behind Astros RHP Francis Martes on this list, a lot of fans wanted Martes to headline the Ken Giles deal.
- It is awesome to see Kilome on this list. I would take Randolph over him, but the gap is really not that big. Kilome has also put on more strength this offseason as he looks to reach his monumental ceiling.
- Overall the Top 101 is weaker that it has been for a little bit. Crawford would be elite on any list, and Williams/Thompson would still be in a Top 50, but the others would be much more fringy.
- In terms of rebuilding “rivals”
- Braves have 6 on the list (27, 32, 37, 43, 79, 82)
- Reds have 5 on the list (30, 47, 50, 77, 81)
- Brewers have 4 on the list (12, 61, 71, 99)
- Alfaro #3 Catcher
- Crawford #1 Shortstop
- Williams #8 OFer
- Thompson #9 RHP
- Appel #19 RHP
- Kilome #29 RHP
- The top org was the Rockies with 7 players
- Five orgs had 6 players (Pirates, Dodgers, Braves, Cubs, and Phillies)